Friday, April 18, 2008

RUMBLE IN KENTUCKIANA!


This post will not have anything to do with sports but I just felt I needed to write about it. At 5:37 this morning we were struck by a magnitude earthquake of 5.2 on the Richter scale in the Kentuckiana area, which means the northern Kentucky and southern Indiana area. Earthquakes are very rare in this part of the region but not impossible to happen as we witnessed this morning.

I was rudely awakened by a fairly loud noise and suddenly I realized that the house was shaking. Right away I said to myself that we are having an earthquake. I was contemplating waking my wife to tell her but she was just sleeping to soundly so I decided not to disturb her. I would just let her find out about the quake when she woke up. The rumbling lasted for about 10 seconds and I continued hearing echoes of rumbling noises in the distance outside my bedroom window a little longer.

The quake made me feel a little uneasy for a moment but that was short lived once the rubbling stopped. There was no damage to our home, and as far as I have heard from the news stations, the quake didn't leave any injuries along the way. Just some minor damage to some buildings in Louisville Kentucky was the stint of the earthquakes anger around here.

The epicenter of the earthquake was located in West Salem Illinois which is around 157 miles west from my home here in Jeffersonville, IN. There has been six aftershocks felt from this quake so far. The aftershocks ranged in magnitudes of 2.0 to 2.5 but there was one aftershock that will probably have geologist curious with an unusual number, it registered at a whopping 4.5 magnitude this morning.

Well, I thought that this would be a worth wild topic to post this morning, so I'll get to sports later. We all need to remember one thing about this though, and that is, that God is always in control.

Even though this post wasn't about sports I'm still going to say this one thing just to make it right; Through earthquakes and rain and through snow and ice sports still live on...

Until my next post, thanks for reading, and keep sports on your mind.

No comments: