Friday, March 14, 2008

THE DRAFT AMONG DRAFTS!!!

I know it's a little premature to start talking about the NFL but I just can't resist. I know it's only been a month and a half since the New York Giants stunned the world and knocked off those then 18-0 undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. No one's perfect, right? Anyways like I said I just can't resist taking about the NFL especially what is about to take place in 42 days from now. Yeah that's right, it's the ultimate draft, it's the NFL draft. Coming soon to a television near you.

Back to Super Bowl XLII for a moment though. Yes, I do have to admit that I wanted to see the Patriots win the Super Bowl this year primarily because I may not get a chance to see a team go undefeated winning a Super Bowl ever again in my lifetime and more than likely neither will a lot of you reading this. Being that said, deep down inside I also wanted to see Peyton's bother Eli when a Super Bowl also, again primarily because Peyton won his Super Bowl last year allowing the Manning brothers to bring about some history for the NFL. So needless to say, while I was watching the Super Bowl this year I had mixed feelings on who I wanted to win Super Bowl XLII. Now that it's all over I'm pleased on how Super Bowl XLII turned out.

OK back to the NFL draft! The NFL draft is a very crucial and time consuming process. It needs to be! Owners and coaches of each NFL team study tapes of college prospects and religiously go over and over decisions on which college prospect they may want to draft months and months before the NFL draft takes place. The decisions the owners and coaches decide could make or break their teams. Maybe not the first or second year after they draft that college player but in the long run it could be glorious for them or it could be disastrous. The owners and coaches know they need to prepare big time for the up coming draft because, well, the player they draft could either bring rags or riches for them and their franchise.
When Eli Manning was coming out of college, sports analyst's were making the prediction that Eli would become as good a quarterback or better than his brother Peyton. They even said that Eli was a better quarterback coming out of college than Peyton was when he came out of college. Wow, what a prediction they made. Who would have known that Eli would navigate his New York Giants team to a Super Bowl and then win it all in just his 3rd year in the NFL. Not only did the owners and coaches of the New York Giants do their homework studying college prospects they might want to draft in the 2004 draft but they decided to take a quarterback with their first pick and yes the New York Giants had the first pick in the 2004 NFL draft choosing Eli Manning. They put their trust in him to lead their franchise to a Super Bowl Championship. Well as you witnessed this year Eli lived up to what was believed of him. Eli won the New York Giants a Super Bowl. Well with all that said, there you have it, proof that potentially whoever is drafted in the NFL draft could eventually take a team from worst to first.

Those of you NFL fans if you are anything like me I'm sure look forward to seeing which players your NFL team will draft because if you think like I think then your team could potentially go from bad to better or bad to worse depending on the draft pick position and then which player is drafted. As you can see on this blog page, the San Francisco 49ERS are my team. The 49ERS unfortunately have to wait all the way until the 29Th pick in the first round to draft this year and then that draft pick is courtesy of the Indianapolis Colts. The 49ERS had one of the worst records in the NFL last year but because of salary cap problems and trades in the past the 49ERS get a crummy 29the overall 1st round pick (courtesy of the Indianapolis Colts). I hate that!!! That's what happens when you buy Super Bowl wins. Remember all those Championships in the 80's? Also 1 in 1994! Well all that money they threw out finally and eventually caught up with them and they are certainly paying for it now. I keep saying there's always next year but it just doesn't seem like next year ever comes. Well all I can say to you about your team is hope for the best and cross your fingers, toes, eyes, arms, legs, just whatever you can cross in hope's that your teams owner and coaches will pick the right player(s) for your team. I know I'll be doing that while I wait to see who is picked for mine.

Well mark your calendars and don't forget to watch THE DRAFT AMONG DRAFTS. The 2008 NFL Draft!!! Get a Coke or a beer, some chips or pretzels, sit back and watch your team get better, get worse, or stay the same. I hope at the end of the 2 days of drafting you will be able to smile, smile, smile. Let me know how you did!!!

Until my next post, thanks for reading, and keep sports on your mind.

1 comment:

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Such the sports commentator you are! Almost makes me like sports...almost!