Monday, March 24, 2008

$152.3 MILLION, MILLION, MILLION!!!

Wow, what a lofty price to pay for one man! Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers have come to an 8 year 152.3 million dollar contract yesterday. Miguel, Miguel where does all that money go? Can you believe that? To me that's just crazy and ridiculous to pay anyone that much money especially to just play a fun and enjoyable sport. So lets figure that salary out for a single year why don't we. 152.3 divided by 8 equals, too much damn money. 19.0375 million dollars a year!!! The salary is broke down a little throughout the years but all in all Miguel Cabrera will be making over 19 million dollars a year for 8 years. Miguel Cabrera's newly acquired salary will presently be the 4Th highest in MLB just behind another all star 3RD baseman in Alex Rodriguez's (27.5 million), the Mets newly acquired all star ace pitcher Johan Santana's (22.9 million) and last but not least Boston's slugging left fielder Manny Ramirez's (20 million).

That makes me sick!!! I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to pay all my bills throughout every month while Miguel Cabrera is wondering what fancy cars he will buy and how many states he will have a mansion in. I'm just stoked by it!!! This is just an upside down world we live in. Does anyone else feel the same way I do or differently about MLB's latest Miguel Cabrera mega deal signing? If so I'd like to hear about it one way or the other.

Well I guess lets take a look at why the Detroit Tigers are willing to pay that ridiculous amount of money to their newly acquired all star 3RD baseman. OK, I do have to admit that Miguel Cabrera is one of the best, if not the best young sluggers in baseball. Granted he has put on weight in recent years maybe contributing to him being put on the trading block this winter. He is a very big and talented Venezuelan. He just turned 24 years old this year and is matured well above his peers at the same age when it comes to baseball. Cabrera had a .320 batting average last year with 34 home runs and 119 RBI's with the Florida Marlins and figures to improve on those outstanding numbers this year as long as he doesn't eat so much that he can't move anymore. Most MLB players don't fully mature in baseball until the ripe age of 27 but I believe Miguel is already there at only 24. I still don't think he should get 19 million dollars a year to play baseball though. I don't think any athlete should get paid that crazy amount of money in one year but a lot of players are in many sports and some even more.

In Miguel Cabrera's 5 year stint in the pros he has posted his amazing average career stats as such; His batting average is a .308 with an average 24 home runs a year and 104 Runs batted in. If he keeps that up, those stats will certainly and eventually land Miguel Cabrera into MLB's Hall Of Fame. No question!!! Also he has went from a 7.4 million dollar a year salary for 5 years to now over 19 million dollars a year for 8 years. Is Cabrera worth that much money? You already know my take on that, but what's yours? I do think he should be one of the highest paid players in MLB but just not that much per year. How can a person even spend that much money? I can't even imagine!!!

Miguel Cabrera all eye's will be on you to live up to that 152.3 million dollar contract throughout the years. I know mine will!!!

Don't let us down Miguel!!! Win the Detroit Tigers a World Series, soon, or else!!!

Until my next post, thanks for reading, and keep sports on your mind.

2 comments:

Milk Mama said...

Hi Ryan! I often read your wife's blog and now my own hubby has a blog. She gave me your link and I had to check it out... I have to admit that it's all Greek to me. That's why I told my own hubby to get a blog. His Man-Speak is all Greek to me, too LOL! :D
His blog is
http://www.frenchfriesandharddrives.blogspot.com
He writes about computers and...stuff... stuff I don't understand anyhow. LOL!
Nice to meet you!

Milk Mama said...

ROFL Glad to see we see we've got each other straight! :) I'm off to your wife's blog to see what's going on in Gabi's World.
Sarah